Monday, June 22, 2009

GPS, lizard, and OOOOOKLAHOMA!

(thanks to taber for the catchy title ... i told you i'd use it!)

So Kim told me about this place called Discoveryland in Tulsa ... it's kind of a dinner and theater (OKLAHOMA!) kind of thing. We, however, opted out of the dinner and did our own thing, italian style. The night went something like this:


Kim, Taber, and I get in the car and head to Carrabba's for dinner. Mostly uneventful except for 2 things. The first was this conversation between Kim and the waitress:


Kim: I'll have the lasagna.
Waitress: soup or salad?
K: Salad
W: What kind of dressing ... house or caesar
K: Caesar salad
W: house salad with caesar dressing?
K: Caesar salad
W: house salad with caesar dressing?
K: Caesar salad
W: I'm confused


And the second was this conversation between me and the waitress (we should have known by now what we were dealing with):


Natalie: this diet coke doesn't really taste like diet coke, could you bring me another one?
Waitress: (picking up the drink smelling it) oh, that's definitely diet coke
N: well could I have another anyway?


I thought she was going to take a sip of the drink ... so i was happy when she only smelled it, but still. Can you really smell the difference between coke and diet coke? I think not.


After dinner, we were headed straight to Discoveryland for the play. We type it into the GPS and hit the road. Before we know it, we are "arriving at destination" according to the GPS. Except that we weren't actually arriving at our destination. Far from it, actually.


We call the real Discoveryland, they give us general directions, and we type a general address into the GPS. This time, as we're approximately 2 miles away, there's a "road closed" sign. Except Taber points out that it's closed to thru traffic. So we go down that road thinking that they're ok with local traffic using the road. A couple miles down there's a sign that says "bridge out ahead". What do you think ... only for thru traffic? Forge ahead. We get to the bridge, which actually is there, only it's rough ... dirt, etc everywhere. But there are tracks around the sign, and we can see the opposite side of the bridge, so we decide to go around the sign. On the other side of the bridge, there are also signs. Only there isn't room to go around them this time. We made Taber get out of the car, move the sign and sandbags, and help us through. All while laughing hysterically. I almost peed my pants we were laughing so hard!


We finally found the real Discoveryland! A little late, but it was OK. We bought our tickets and took our little hike down to the amphitheater. A quick trip to the bathrooms before we took our seats. I looked up, and saw this:


yes, a lizard, or some kind of nasty reptile! Luckily, it was dead. At least I think so.


Intermission brought snow cones. During the 2nd half, Kim and I were sitting there eating our snow cones. I was holding a spoonful of ice when I leaned over to say something to Kim. I believe I had gotten out "eating this is like chipping ice off the iceberg that sank the Ti ..." when a gun shot went off in the play. It scared me so much that I jumped enough to send all of the ice on my spoon flying! I think Kim and I laughed through most of that scene!

Here's a couple quick pictures of the show. The lights are too bright for the photo, but at least you can see the scene!





The return trip took significantly less time ... and all in all, it was a fantastic evening ... complete with good fun and great friends!

1 comment:

  1. Funny! I love the conversations with the waitress -- I swear, people are just plain stupid.

    ReplyDelete