Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Cirque du So-lame? I think not!


This past weekend we went to see Cavalia, a horse themed show under the big top that was created by one of the co-founders of Cirque du Soleil.

I was originally introduced to Cirque du Soleil about 7 years ago. My original thought when my hair stylist told me was Cirque du what? And what did she tell me? That while it seemed expensive, it is worth every dollar you spend on the tickets. Doubtful, right? But while Stephanie and I were in Orlando shortly after that, we were looking for something to do and bought $100 tickets to Cirque's "La Nouba". And now I agree. It IS worth every dollar we spent. In fact, we were wishing we had spent more to get the closer tickets.

Fast forward a few years, to Stephanie's 21st birthday weekend in Vegas. I decided that $80 was too much to spend on a Cirque ticket when no one else would go with me, so I stayed at the hotel and instead wasted $80 at the Blackjack tables. Bad idea.

A couple years ago when we were in Vegas again, I helped convince a doubting crowd that we should go see a Cirque show. With everyone on board, we went to buy tickets. Except all of the shows were sold out. I guess that's what we get for waiting too long. But, the concierge told us that "Le Reve" was just as good or better, so an even more doubtful crew handed their money over for the tickets. According to the concierge, Le Reve was originally a Cirque show, purchased by Steve Wynn so it could run exclusively at his hotel. A Cirque show it was ... from the 1st and 2nd row of the round "theatre", we watched amazing acrobats, aerialists and dancers in the water-based show. It was amazing.

I shouldn't have doubted that Cavalia would be just as good, but for some reason spending that much money for a couple hours of entertainment leaves me thinking it won't be worth it. But I was proven wrong, once again. I recommend it to everyone, horse lover or not. It will leave you wishing you had a horse of your own and wanting to learn how to do tricks galore.

Lesson learned, I think. I will no longer pass up the opportunity to see a Cirque show (or one created by the cofounder). Starting this fall. I'll be going again to see "La Nouba", just because I can.

3 comments: